Friday, May 20, 2011

A list

I'm going to give list-making another go. I had been making them, but not really following them. But after yet another round of closet cleaning, I might just be ready to streamline.

So far, on my list, I have three things:
-- structured jacket, probably in black. For now I'll make do with my black blazer, but I'd really love to get the jacket like Isabel Marant's Elali jacket I've been lemming admiring on other bloggers.
-- silk button down, preferably in a brown or cream, but maybe in black. I'm realizing my favorite tops are button-downs with a silky hand. I don't actually have one in silk, though, so I'd like to get one.
-- stripe top? I have a lot of t-shirts, so I know I gravitate towards easy dressing. I think striped t-shirts seem a bit more polished and interesting, while still retaining a casual feel. I love my Rachel Comey striped boatneck top, but I'd like a version that was a bit looser in the body.

And there are a few spaces in there for any finds I come across in thrifiting.

This is my fall/winter list, which is really the season I need to be preparing for. I have enough summer clothes. In past few weeks, I've finished getting everything I need and want for the summer, including the linen pieces that will hopefully take me through the rest of the pregnancy, a chambray top from Lover with enough pleating to accommodate a growing belly, and a chambray skirt from See by Chloe to replace the almost perfect versions I have currently hanging in my closet. It's so hard for me to resist buying clothes for the summer, though, because warm weather and sunshine makes me happy, and it gives me pleasure to anticipate it.

Other than that, I think I'm set and anything else I acquire will be excess. Which isn't to say I will succeed in abstaining, especially when the sales come around. (Really, to do this properly, I'm thinking I need to break my habit of sales.) But I'll put up the list just so that I'll have some line I'm trying to hold.

P.S. Blogger hasn't been emailing me notification of any comments, so my apologies for not responding to some of them earlier. Of course, I read every one of them!

2 comments:

  1. I love that jacket. I also recommend the J. Crew striped shirts (the bateau ones). They go on sale, last forever and are looser in the body--as well as being far cheaper than Rachel Comey ones.

    As for silk button downs, the Madewell ones are nice and should go on sale soon.

    I like your list and think it is both restrained and versatile. And like you, I love summer although I would like to see some spring in NYC first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Madewell silk shirt bookmarked! I'm tracking the sale for it. I like the simple cut. I also liked the Alexa Chung version but felt it was overpriced, especially considering how Madewell puts out silk button downs all the time.

    I'll take a look at the JCrew shirts. I haven't gotten anything from them in awhile. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete